Pages

Saturday, December 1, 2012

You're Not Doing It Right: Tales of Marriage, Sex, Death, and Other Humiliations by Michael Ian Black


★★★★

Four stars.

This review contains some language that might be offensive. Don't like it? Don't read it.

---

Michael Ian Black is a comedian who is best known for his work on various MTV shows. This is his memoir, reflecting on such things as sex, marriage, childbearing, and life in New York.

---

Michael Ian Black is also a douchebag. And I love him for it. Despite him being a fairly successful forty year old Jewish man, and I being a college aged jobless Pagan female, I found tremendous similarities in viewpoints as well as sense of humor.

For instance, some people might be offended by his awful viewpoints on children and infants. I, however, hate kids and found this to be hilarious.

I admittedly didn't know much about him other than he's the guy who talks about Razzles and My Buddy on I Love the 80's. That being said, he's always been my favorite commentator, and that is my reason for wanting to read this book.

Being a comedian, this book is largely humorous, but contains very serious issues. I think there is a good balance of both. It was easy to read, well paced, and made me laugh out loud more than once.

---

I'm not sure who to recommend it for. Anyone who can appreciate a douchebag sense of humor, and definitely fans of Michael Ian Black, should check it out. This book does contain adult language (my personal favorite is the word "cunty"- the act of being a cunt). So if you're easily offended by words like that, or sexual topics, than this book is not for you.

0 comments:

Post a Comment