Pages

Sunday, December 2, 2012

Bad Taste in Boys by Carrie Harris


Title: Bad Taste in Boys (Kate Grable #1)
Author:Carrie Harris
Format: Hardcover, 201 pages
Pub. Date: July 12th 2011
Source: The Windy Pages blog

★★

Two stars.

Kate Grable is your typical high school geek, on the cusp of having a social life thanks to her best friends. She helps her high school's football team, putting her medical knowledge to the test so that she can have experience when she applies to pre-med programs in college. Of course, being around hotties like Aaron all the time isn't necessarily a bad perk to the job. But when the coach asks her to administer unlabeled shots of steroids to his players, Kate refuses and a red flag waves. Soon, the boys who were injected start turning into zombies, and Kate and her friends have to stop it before it's too late.

----

-Meh.

-I didn't like Kate. She seemed like a girl I would have rolled my eyes at a lot in high school. She's constantly spouting medical knowledge and facts, correcting other people. It bugs me. Someone should remind her that she's in high school, not college. Tone it back a bit. I also didn't like how this knowledge took away her emotions. Her best friend's boyfriend gets shot and Kate thinks his mom is overreacting by crying, because it wasn't a fatal blow. I'd like to think my mom was cry if I was shot in the armed forces, thanks.

-The actual story is just what you think it is. The zombies weren't creative at all- the offcolor, cannibalistic, 'braaaaiiiiins' moaning zombies. Ho hum. I like my zombies scary, and in this girly YA book, they were more comical than anything. I respect that this was the author's intent, but it's not my kind of story.

+That being said, the cover is gorgeous. It would definitely catch my eye on a shelf.

Overall, I just found this beneath my age level. If I were in junior high, I probably would have loved it. So, please take my review with a grain of salt. It wasn't badly written, nor was it a waste of time. It's just a book that I personally wouldn't read again, or purchase.

I recommend it for female junior high/high school YA fans who want a fast read about zombie football players. If you like scary stories or are a more advanced reader, you might want to pass this one up.

---

Thank you to The Windy Pages blog for my copy.

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree. I don't think it was a book to get invested in, but for being such a short book, about zombies I thought it was pretty funny. The writing wasn't bad like you said, but you're right the zombies were the stereotypical zombies....great now I'm stereotyping zombies...

    Lisa
    www.turningpages94.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete