Pages

Saturday, December 1, 2012

Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov


★★★★★

Five stars.

I was so excited when my girlfriend bought me this book. I've wanted to read it for a very long time, mainly due to the controversy that still surrounds it, even now.

It was well worth the wait. I positively adored this book. It's written in a detailed, poetic, beautiful way that made me not want to put it down.

That being said, I feel disturbed by my enjoyment of this novel. He has made "nymphets" truly seem wondrous and alluring. His feelings are so raw, so passionate, & a wicked kind of honest. Humbert's actions seem almost rational, his love pure. I often found myself forgetting that his Lolita was so young, & when I was reminded, I was ashamed that I was hoping his plans would be successful, and that they would somehow find a way to be happy together.

I definitely understand the taboo surrounding this book, but in my humble opinion, that's what makes it so brilliant. I am so glad that I read this.

0 comments:

Post a Comment