Pages

Sunday, December 2, 2012

52 Reasons to Hate My Father by Jessica Brody


Title: 52 Reasons to Hate My Father
Author: Jessica Brody
Format: Hardcover, 340 pages
Pub. Date: July 3rd 2012
Source: Emily and Simple Books blog

★★★★

Four stars.

Lexington Larrabee is the heiress that we've all seen on the news. Spoiled, rich, a small dog, never finished a day of actual work in her life. Why would she have to? She's the daughter of CEO Richard Larrabee. She was born with a silver spoon in her mouth, and she likes it that way. But one night her partying goes too far, and for reasons that her father doesn't entirely explain, he adds a condition to her receiving her trust fund. In order to receive the fund, valued at a cool $25 million, she will have to complete 52 minimum wage jobs, one a week for an entire year. If she fails, or isn't taking the work seriously, then she's cut off. Permanently. The more that Lexi works, the more she realizes her own potential, and when she finally begins to understand the "business transactions" of her father's company, the corporation might never be the same.

-----

I am honestly surprised how much I liked this book. I was expecting it to be a simple, cliche read. I'm glad that I was wrong. At first I hated Lexi, but I grew to actually care about her 52 jobs, and I wanted her to do them. I wanted to know why her father was extraordinarily stone faced, and why her lawyer so involved. I hated Caroline, and wanted her to be fired from the company more times than I could count. I thought I had the plot figured out about half way through, but I was wrong. Very wrong. And I very much love it when that happens. This books is funny, full of heart, and oddly relatable, even if you're not worth a few million bucks. It blends together the "chip on your shoulder" attitude of Legally Blonde, the concept of Billy Madison, with just a dash of Paris Hilton. This isn't normally my type of book, but I loved it. It's a quick read- but don't mistake that for simple.

This is a solid four star book, and I recommend it for young adult females and up.

Thank you to Emily and Simple Books blog for the free copy.

0 comments:

Post a Comment