Pages

Saturday, December 1, 2012

Two Rings: A Story of Love and War by Millie Werber & Eve Keller


★★★★★

Five stars.

I received this book through Goodreads First Reads.

Two Rings: A Story of Love and war is a vivid and haunting memoir of love and survival during the Holocaust. The story follows that of Millie Werber, as she starts off in a small ghetto before being ushered to work in a factory. It is there where she meets her first love, Heniek. Unfortunately, it is also there where her love is taken away, ripped apart as Jews are forced into concentration camps. Mrs. Werber tells the tale of how she time and again eluded death when it seemed to be lurking behind every corner during her imprisonment at Auschwitz. This story is truly one that I could not put down, and almost couldn't believe.

Being a history buff, I was eager to read a tale from the Holocaust where love, through all other things, is the main theme of the memoir. The author tells her story with such startling detail that I often found myself holding my breath for her, worrying that somehow (despite the book being written these decades later) she would not make it out alive. My heart wrenched as hers did and quite simply, I could not put this book down.

This book deserves a place among memoirs such as Night, and should be read by anyone who believes in love or survival. Thank you, First Reads, for allowing me the honor of reading Millie's story

0 comments:

Post a Comment