Pages

Sunday, December 2, 2012

Redemption by Susannah Sandlin


Title: Redemption (Penton Legacy #1)
Author: Susannah Sandlin
Format: Paperback, 357 pages
Pub. Date: June 12th 2012
Source: Susannah Sandlin & Book Sniffers Anonymous blog

★★★

Three stars.

*This review contains swear words. Don't like, don't read it. End of.*

Penton, Alabama is in need of a Doctor. But not just any doctor will do. A vaccination that has been given to a large percent of the human population makes their blood lethal to vampires. This means a shortage of food, as well as patience. Aiden Murphy has set up a small little haven, the town of Penton, which is only made up of bonded vampires and unvaccinated humans. Only, his brother has revenge and death on the mind, and Aiden fears that his little village is in danger. So he comes up with a scheme to force the human Dr. Krystal Harris to stay and help with the cause. Aiden reacts to her in a way he never imagined possible, and the romance sets underway as the town of Penton is starting to crumble.

--

This book just wasn't my cup of tea.

I rather enjoyed the concept of the safe haven for vampires and donors, but the virus/vaccination thing seems to be a new trend with vampire books these days. To be quite honest, this book might have just been at the wrong place in my reading queue at the wrong time. I am vampired out.

Aiden Murphy is a charmingly handsome character, but he makes choices that I'm not okay with, such as "enthralling" Krystal multiple times, and touching her while she was in her daze.

The romance didn't really work for me. The first time they touch it's only half consensual, and it's awkward to read. It was just pretty boring, in my opinion.

What really bothered me the most was the language. The language makes it unclear as to the intended audience for this novel (a problem that I'm finding not all that uncommon. PC Cast, I'm talking to you!). There is an abundance of the word "freakin'" that implies a younger maturity level, since grown ups say fuck. Yet, as adult scenes occur, words like "cock" are used. I'm an adult. I have no issue with vulgar language. But either match the adult theme of the book and say "fucking" or don't use the word at all. "I have no idea" conveys the same idea as "I have no freakin' idea."

Overall, I'd call this book mediocre. I wouldn't rush out and buy it, but if it came into my possession, I'd give it a read. Vampire fans might like it in particular.

Thanks to the author Susannah Sandlin & Book Sniffers Anonymous blog for the autographed copy.

0 comments:

Post a Comment