Pages

Saturday, December 1, 2012

Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris


★★★★

Four stars.

On the surface, there is absolutely nothing spectacular about Sookie Stackhouse. Sure, she's pretty. But she's only a waitress in a nowhere Southern town in Louisiana. But she's far from normal- she can read minds. It irks her a bit, admittedly. But around these parts, vampires are allowed out of the coffin, and she's not the least "disabled" one around. That's when she meets Bill- a vampire who's tall, dark, and handsome, but above all, dangerous. Sookie must decide if her growing feelings can outweigh her will to live.

---

I loved this book.

After much bitterness & delay, I finally decided to give this vampire series a try, & I'm very glad that I did. I don't think I'll start watching True Blood, but I definitely want to read the rest of the books.

I found that this book had a nice balance of vampirism (without too many overly cheesy moments), mystery, murder, & sex. It was darker & more violent than I had anticipated, but I mean that in the most positive sense. The fact that it takes place in Louisiana/New Orleans was an added perk (since it is my favorite place to visit). My only real complaint is that it ended far too briskly, & now I must finish the series. However, a long time vampire fan myself, I am happy to add this to my bookshelf.

I recommend it for vampire fans who'd like a bit more of a bite in their novels.

0 comments:

Post a Comment