Pages

Saturday, December 1, 2012

My Happy Days in Hollywood: A Memoir by Garry Marshall


Title: My Happy Days in Hollywood: A Memoir
Author: Garry Marshall
Format: Hardcover, 288 pages
Pub. Date: April 24th 2012
Source: Goodreads First Reads

★★★

Three stars.

I received this book through Goodreads First Reads.

This book is a nice, quick read about the life of director Garry Marshall.

What I liked about this book is that it was relatively upbeat. He seems to be a pretty positive guy, & that made the book more enjoyable for me. I was also a fan of the fact that nothing really dragged out. Admittedly, this book is a lot of name dropping. But he moves through the timeline pretty fast, so there's no whole pointless chapters focused on one tiny aspect, as I've read in other memoirs.

But the thing that sets this memoir apart, in my own experiences, is that there's no real downward spiral. No losing himself to drugs, no eating disorder, no awful press report type coverage. Of course, I know that this is a one sided story & is to be taken with a grain of salt. But, it was a change for me all the same.

Will I read this again? No. It's not that kind of book. It was interesting, but I'm over it. If you're a super fan or a complete film buff, maybe you should give this a shot. But if you're roughly my age (20) or younger, I'd pass. Half of these names that are dropped I've barely heard of. I'm pretty sure I'm not the intended audience, so over all I can only give it a 3/5. It wasn't a waste of time, but I'm not going to gush about it anytime soon.

0 comments:

Post a Comment