Pages

Saturday, December 1, 2012

Something Secret This Way Comes by Sierra Dean


Title: Something Secret This Way Comes (Secret McQueen #1)
Author: Sierra Dean
Format: Paperback, 264 pages
Pub. Date: April 3rd 2012
Source: Goodreads First Reads

★★★★

Four stars.

I received this book through Goodreads First Reads. Thank you both to GR & Ms. Sierra Dean for the signed copy.

Secret McQueen defies even paranormal laws of existence. She is neither vampire nor werewolf, but in fact a conglomerate of both. She has the curse of staying in the darkness, mixed with the keen senses of both races. As a slayer hired by the vampiric government, she has always seen herself more as a vampire than a wolf, though she doesn't truly fit in anywhere. But as she meets a duo of tasty werewolves, her world comes crashing around her. Everything she knows will be tested, including what she knows about herself, & as a rogue vampire from her past reopens old wounds, Secret might not walk away from this ultimate test of her bounty skills or her lupine love triangle alive.

I am very happily surprised to have enjoyed this book. Upon reading the synopsis, I thought It sounds good, but maybe a little much. I'm thrilled to say that's not the case. This book contains an ass kicking female protagonist, a nice change from most books I read. It was fast paced, easy to understand, most importantly, the plot was great. There was hardly a dull moment, & I found myself genuinely concerned about (some of) the characters' well being. Violence & sexual tension add a nice touch, making the story more vivid. I probably should have predicted the end, but alas I did not. So, damn you Ms. Dean, you have made me anxious to read the next installment of Secret's life.

I give this four out five stars. The only reason it's not a five is that, in my perverse opinion, the sex scenes were a bit glossed over. I'm familiar with this publisher, & was expecting it just a bit more thoroughly written, more detailed. That being said, that's the only real issue I had with this book.

I recommend it to both fans of lycanthropy & vampirism, fans of paranormal romance, & anyone who like sexy wolfy man candy that tastes like cinnamon.

0 comments:

Post a Comment