Pages

Saturday, December 1, 2012

A Living Nightmare by Darren Shan


★★★★

Four stars.

After protagonist Darren Shan & his best friend obtain tickets to an illegally run, secret freak show, both get pulled into a darkness where freaks are real, vampires exist, & giant spiders can be controlled by telepathy. Possessed by his obsession with spiders, Darren decides to sneak into the circus after hours and steal the gorgeous spider from the show. The problem? That spider is owned by a vampire- one that's not all too happy that she's missing. Darren longed for adventure, but will he escape from this one with his life?

--

I love this book. This is the first novel in the Cirque Du Freak series by Darren Shan. It's admittedly a bit juvenile and it's easy to read, but I didn't want to put it down. I was pulled in by the same excitement and darkness that Darren was, and I wanted to be by his side exploring the freak show with him. My only slight irritation is the insane amount of exclamation marks used throughout the book. I understand tat the author wanted to show emphasis, but it could have definitely been toned down.

0 comments:

Post a Comment