Pages

Sunday, December 2, 2012

The Emotion Thesaurus: A Writer's Guide to Character Expression by Angela Ackerman, Becca Puglisi


Title: The Emotion Thesaurus: A Writer's Guide to Character Expression
Author: Angela Ackerman, Becca Puglisi
Format: Paperback, 170 pages
Pub. Date: May 2012
Source: Goodreads First Reads

★★★★★

Five stars.

I received this book through Goodreads First Reads.

The Emotion Thesaurus is a short but extremely useful Writer's Guide that, as the title would suggest, deals with writing the emotions of characters. I was pleasantly surprised that this is not just a mere thesaurus that provides synonyms. This guide includes so much more, like mental reactions & physical reactions. This little book includes 75 basic emotions that are alphabetically listed, making it easy to quickly reference what you need.

I personally love this guide. I'm an aspiring writer, & sometimes there is just a character's emotion that I can't get quite write. I used this guide yesterday while writing as my way of beta testing (I wasn't about to read a thesaurus cover to cover) & I have to say that both my girlfriend & myself felt that my character's emotions were more relatable & more well written.

I recommend this handy guide for students, writers, & role players.

0 comments:

Post a Comment