Pages

Monday, December 3, 2012

Underworld by Meg Cabot


Title: Underworld (Abandon Trilogy #2)
Author: Meg Cabot
Format: ARC
Pub. Date: May 8th 2012
Source: Short and Sweet Reviews

★★★★

Three and a half stars, rounded up.

After being attacked by her grandmother, who is possessed by a Fury, Pierce Olivier is whisked away to the Underworld by its ruler, John Hayden. Only she's not dead. Yet. John claims that he's keeping her in the Underworld to keep her safe, and she wants to believe him. She feels protected in his arms, in the Underworld. But when her cell phone starts depicting an image of her cousin in danger, she risks everything to make sure he's okay. But she must constantly be on alert- the living, the dead, and those in between all want her killed. If she's not careful, they will get their wish.

--

Underworld is the second book in the Abandon series by Meg Cabot.

+ Greek myths are some of my favorite stories to read. I really enjoyed this retelling of the myth of Persephone and Hades using modern technology and plot twists. The Underworld and John both were depicted as dark but beautiful. I can't say that I blame Pierce for wanting to stay with him down there.

+ I loved the setting. The island on which Pierce lives, as well as the festivities held there, sound like a blast. I was easily able to see what the author wanted me to, and I wanted to go party on Coffin Night with the rest of the locals. Plus, there are pirates. Who doesn't like pirates?

+ The cover is gorgeous. It is what first attracted me to the novel. It stands out on a shelf, which is a definite positive.

- I didn't read Underworld's predecessor, Abandon. I feel as though I missed a lot by not doing so. I was often confused, if only for a moment, by references made to Pierce's past that I assume I would have learned in book one. This lack of knowledge on my part lowered this book's rating. This isn't the kind of series, lesson learned, that should be read out of order.

All in all, I feel as though this book is the dark tale of Hades for the teenage girl audience. There's romance, death, broody alpha males, and flirtatious sailors. I recommend it for YA readers and those who enjoy myths. If you're looking for the gritty, gothic, bloody tale of Hades, then pass this book up. I also recommend reading book one first- maybe you'll get more out of the sequel than I did.

Thank you to Short and Sweet Reviews for my copy.

0 comments:

Post a Comment