Pages

Saturday, December 1, 2012

The Year of Living Biblically: One Man's Humble Quest to Follow the Bible as Literally as Possible by A.J. Jacobs


Title: The Year of Living Biblically: One Man's Humble Quest to Follow the Bible as Literally as Possible
Author: A.J. Jacobs
Format: ARC
Pub. Date: October 9th 2007
Source: Purchased.

★★★★

Four stars.

I am positively stunned that I enjoyed this book.

First, for the record, I am agnostic. However, I have always had a fascination with things greater than myself, religions included. So when I came across this book, I had to give it a shot. I've often had problems with the literal interpretations of the Bible, & I feel hypocritical thinking that some of its lessons or rules are valid, while others aren't.

I've read the Bible. Probably not as thoroughly or as deeply as I should, but, my brain has processed its words. But this book helped me remember just how elite or absurd or what have you the good book is. I've often wondered if I could live by its literal law.

And now I know- no. I couldn't. I feel part of something that transcends my life, but in my own humble opinion, I am not disciplined enough. I'm not that devoted to following so many rules all at once. Bad? Maybe. But that's my own issue.

Another thing that this made me realize, is that if Bible is literal law- I am a horrible person. I sin more times a day than I could possibly count. But, so does he. So it's something that's learned, I suppose.

Overall, I found this book easy to follow but not easy to swallow. He kept me entertained with little jokes & stories. Unlike some reviewers who claim this to be boring, I wasn't expecting a book full of Michael Bay explosions & car chases, so I had no issues there.

This edition that I have IS however an old ARC copy, so there were some spelling errors & grammar issues. But those weren't too common.

I think that anyone with an interest in religion, no matter what path, should at least give this a try.

0 comments:

Post a Comment