Pages

Saturday, December 1, 2012

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins


★★★★★

Five stars.

In a nation known as Panem, formerly known as the United States, children dread the Reaping. To remind the citizens of a long ago revolution, the government runs a yearly event called the Hunger Games. Two children from each of the twelve districts are selected and placed in an arena, and fight to the death. Katniss Everdeen is mortified when her little sister, Prim, is called to fight. In a panic, she volunteers as tribute, and must fight for her life.

I loved this book.

I finally caved into the pressure of the hype, since everyone is obsessed with the film's release. I figured that it wouldn't do any harm to give this book a shot, despite my usual disappointment with overly publicized books.

With all that said, I couldn't put this down. I quickly found myself emotionally invested in certain characters, cheering for them to survive. I loved that Katniss had no real romance triangle like so many YA books do lately. I loved the amount of violence and action that had my heart racing. I loved the overwhelming sense of sadness and haunting that carried through this novel. Did I mention that I loved this book?

The book ended too quickly, but I am eager to read the next installment of this enthralling story.

0 comments:

Post a Comment