Pages

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Hot Buttons Sexuality Edition by Nicole O'Dell


Title: Hot Buttons Sexuality Edition (Hot Buttons #3)
Author: Nicole O'Dell
Format: Paperback, 172 pages
Pub. Date: October 2012
Source: Goodreads First Reads



One star.

I received this through Goodreads First Reads.

I can't possibly review this fully without saying mean things that I'll regret, so I'll try to keep it professional.

First, I didn't realize that this was a Christian/faith based books. And that, frankly, is my fault. Had I known, I wouldn't have bothered entering for it.

Long story short, this book is full of paraphrased/updated Bible quotes applied to sexual relationships. This book stresses a "pure until marriage" lifestyle and quite honestly, doesn't do a good job in answering the so-called "important questions" that teens "are asking."

First of all, who are the teens that are asking these things? They have to be sheltered. Most teens don't want to talk to their parents about the weather, let alone sex and advice about it. Unless you keep your kids in a Saran wrap bubble, they're going to read things, watch things, and learn things. It is inevitable. I am not anti-Christian. I don't follow Christianity myself, but I've no ill will to those who do. But the way to help your child is not to make sex seem disgusting and shameful and preach purity. Nor is it to answer with a Bible quote.

But, the reason I will never recommend this book is for the homosexuality chapter. While I respect the overall message of "Jesus loved the sinner, just not the sin", I think it's absurd that the author suggests things such as prohibiting tv or movies that portray homosexuality in a positive light, limiting friendships with gay friends, and prohibiting your children from getting into a situation that may "tempt them to try out a homosexual relationship." Seriously? Because homosexuality is an obvious choice that we all get tempted into. I know that my first gay experience, I was alone too long with a girl and thought to myself, you know what would be fun? Sex with girls. (Sarcasm. Since I know not everyone will comprehend that). I think it's extremely hypocritical to say that Jesus loves you, but never ever let your kids watch about it on tv lest they be tempted to try it. And to add to it, this "help" book uses the New International Version, and not the King James version. I didn't realize that the NIV has changed the Bible quote to read: "'Do not have sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman." Whereas, the KJV says: Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind. People often ask me why I don't take the Bible as my Word. That is your answer. It is randomly updated and changed around so much that I can't possibly start to pick and choose what was meant versus what has been "wrongly changed".

If you're a Christian, maybe this book will mean something to you. If you're gay or non-Christian, don't even bother reading the first page. It's preachy, and quite honestly, unhelpful. I personally feel that if even if I were a Christian, this book would provide little parenting information.

2 comments: