Pages

Sunday, December 2, 2012

Never Cry Wolf by Farley Mowat


Title: Never Cry Wolf
Author: Farley Mowat
Format: Paperback, 246 pages
Pub. Date: September 13th 2001
Source: Purchased.

★★★★

Four stars.

Written in the sixties, this book follows the year that naturalist Farley Mowat lived among the wolves. Hired to observe these wolves up in Canada to see why they were killing caribou, Mowat uses humor, observation, and a bit of personification to narrate his observations of wolf behavior and what he learned from his time living in the wild.

---

I had to read this for my English class this semester. It followed about four other books on natural systems that I did not care for at all, and I'm happy to say I actually really enjoyed this. It's approachable, hilarious, and easy to read. Mowat seems like the kind of guy that'd be fun to go drinking or camping with (though, if that's a good thing in a scientist is probably debatable). Instead of mindlessly journaling boring observations, he helps the reader feel a bond with "Wolf A" and "Wolf B" by giving them human names, and little stories. I genuinely cared about these wolves that lived over half a century ago.

I recommend it for any wolf lover, nature lover, or naturalist.

0 comments:

Post a Comment