Pages

Saturday, December 1, 2012

The Last Time I Wore a Dress by Daphne Scholinski


Title: The Last Time I Wore a Dress
Author: Daphne Scholinski
Format: Paperback, 224 pages
Pub. Date: October 1st 1998
Source: Purchased.

★★★★

Four stars.

I'm not sure how to feel about this book.

On one hand, this book was really interesting. It was a nice insight into the life that someone in an institution has. I felt a bit personally attached to it on some level, for one because I'm from Chicago & know of these hospitals, & then again because my girlfriend, in the past, has struggled with some gender issues of her own.

With that being said, in the book, Daphne lies. All the time. About everything. It makes her stay far worse, plus, it makes me question the memoir. If she lied so easily about everything else, then why am I expected to believe that the events in her hospitalization happened the way they did.

I think this book is worth it, since it was an easy read & interesting at the very least. But if I were you, I'd take it all with a grain of salt. I recommend it for people with gender identity problems & those interested in psychology.

0 comments:

Post a Comment