Pages

Friday, June 14, 2013

Review: Once a Brat by Kim Dare


Title: Once a Brat
Author: Kim Dare
Format: egalley edition
Pub. Date: February 9th 2013
Source: Netgalley & Riptide Publishing

★★★★

Four stars.

This review will contain crass language. You've been warned.

---

Marcus has seen Bret hanging around him at the local BDSM clubs. He's stalking Marcus, and not very discreetly. He's a newbie to this kinky world of Doms and subs, with a bratty attitude and a lot to learn. But from the moment that he saw Marcus, he wanted to obey no others' commands. Eventually Marcus gives in and agrees to do a scene with Bret, but finds himself thinking of Bret as more than just a pet, while Bret will do all that he can to prove to Marcus that he is worthy of a collar.

----

This is my first read by Kim Dare, and I've got to say that overall, I'm a fan. This is a short read but manages to have not only steamy sex but an actual plot between two well-developed characters.

+The author is clearly very experienced when it comes to the BDSM scene, and as a member of "the scene" myself, this makes me exceedingly happy. The emotions that she captures, namely from the submissive Bret, are dead on. I sympathized with him completely, and found myself frustrated when he was, and wincing when he stepped out of line. It was nice to see depth and knowledge brought into this. I've read a lot of stories where this was not the case.

+ The sex scenes themselves were very well written. Hot, teasing, steamy, and delightfully vulgar, this story is sure to scratch any itch that the reader may have. It also gets pretty hardcore into bondage, which made it all the better for me.

My only real complaint, at the end of the day, is the use of language. The word "cock" is pretty much exclusively used to indicate that part of anatomy. It seemed a bit redundant and almost irritating at some points. It wasn't enough to really turn me off of the read, but it was enough that it caught my attention.

I recommend this novella to any fan of bondage, m/m romance, and general kinkiness. If gay relationships or BDSM themes are not your cup of tea, than let me assure you, this book isn't either.

Thank you to Netgalley and Riptide Publishing for my copy.

1 comment:

  1. Let me steal your Kindle! Having been next to you while you read this, accompanied by your superb review, I can definitely say that I really want to read this novella. Just let me steal your books! xD

    ReplyDelete