Pages

Friday, June 14, 2013

Review: The Miss Education of Dr. Exeter


Title: The Miss Education of Dr. Exeter (Paranormal Investigator #3)
Author: Jillian Stone
Format: egalley edition
Pub. Date: June 25th 2013
Source: Netgalley & Kensington Books

★★★

Three solid stars.

This review is going to be short and to the point, since I don't really have much to say about it either positively or negatively.

First, the positives:

+I really liked the language used within this novel. It was pleasantly descriptive, and did a great job sucking the reader into the world that Jillian Stone re-imagined. It made me want to run alongside the characters and see what they saw.

+The cover is gorgeous. I'm a sucker for most steampunk works, and this cover would definitely catch my attention. From the steamy (ha) looking couple to the striking purple background, I think that this book will get plenty of double glances on bookstore shelves (or ereader sites, if that's what you prefer).

+ There's just enough sizzling romance in this book to keep things interesting. It doesn't force itself into the plot, or take away from the bigger picture of the story. I have read books where both of those are unfortunately the case.

-Unfortunately, I didn't realize that this was the third book in a series. It came off confusing from the start, and throughout the novel I felt as though I was missing a vital part of the story. Perhaps that's why I didn't really connect with any of the characters, maybe we just needed more time and back story to bond over.

-I also feel like this book will get lost in this up and coming steampunk trend. I've been seeing an increase in the genre, and they all sound rather similar after awhile. For me, this read was simply average, and it will probably go unremembered as I read more steampunk tales.

This book wasn't bad, just not my thing. If you like steampunk and paranormal romance, give this book a shot. It might be your new favorite. But, as someone who hasn't read books one or two, I suggest that you do so before reading this one. Maybe it will make your reading experience all the better.

Thank you to Netgalley and Kensington Books for my copy.

4 comments:

  1. Yet another honest and excellent review. It's always sad when you can't connect to a book, but there's always hope that you'll come across the first two and perhaps it'll rekindle your interest. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That cover really is gorgeous. It's one of my favorites so far this year. Bummer it didn't really work for you. I have it on my review list for next month and eep! I haven't read book one or two either. Fingers crossed it kinda sorta works for me. Great review Jillyn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sincerely hope you get more from it than I did!

    ReplyDelete