Pages

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Review: I Don't Know What You Know Me From


Title: I Don't Know What You Know Me From: Confessions of a Co-Star
Author: Judy Greer
Format: egalley
Pub. Date: April 8th 2014
Source: Netgalley & Doubleday

★★★

Three stars.

---

Judy Greer is an actress that all of you know, even if you don't know that you know her. Personally? I'm a huge fan of her in Two and a Half Men, 13 Going on 30, and my newest addiction tv show: Archer. With comedic flair, Greer shares a glimpse into her life as a co-star through essays that are generally divided to her life at home, life before fame, and Hollywood life.

I wanted to like this more than I actually did. As I mentioned above, I adore her. I think she's snarky (in a good way) and has a great dead pan way of getting her humor across. I guess I was hoping that more of this delivery would manage to come out in her writing, but it did not.

Don't get me wrong; this book contains humor. It's not badly written. Greer does a good job getting the stories she wishes to tell across throughout this series of essays. It just was not the laugh-out-loud kind of read that I anticipated when I opened the book. Plus, this book isn't really juicy. I was expecting a more in-depth look at the lives of Hollywood's who's who and the lives that celebrities life from someone who is actively living in the bubble. But alas it was not, so these two facts combined to make a rather boring read. I don't regret reading it, and it was funny at parts, but it just wasn't what I was expecting.

If you're a fan of Judy Greer, this read is probably something you'd enjoy. But if you're looking for a gut-busting, gossipy tell-all, then this is not the book to satiate you. Thanks to Netgalley and Doubleday Books for my copy.

4 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear that this isn't what you were expecting, I know you were excited to get this book. I'd give this book a shot though, I do love her in Archer too as you know and I think this might be an interesting read. Great review babe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember her in Jawbreaker! And I know I've seen her in lots of other things, too. That's funny that she pokes fun at the fact that people would know they know who she is, but not really know... Sorry this wasn't a laugh out loud read! I'm going to have to check out Archer since everyone loves it so much! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely recommend Archer. I do love that she embraces her job- I tried to explain to my mom whose book I was reading and finally I got to her role in Two and a Half Men and my mom was like, "Oh her! She's in all kinds of stuff!"

      Delete