Pages

Monday, October 14, 2013

Review: Made of Stars


Title: Made of Stars
Author: Kelley York
Format: egalley
Pub. Date: October 1st 2013
Source: Netgalley and Entangled Teen

★★★★★

Five shining stars.

Chance is a constant in the lives of half-siblings Ashlin and Hunter. For as long as they can remember, their quirky friend has been by their sides. They're a perfect group of three. The siblings are ecstatic when they come to their Dad's house for the first time in years, knowing that things will pick up where they left off. But they're older now, and Chance's lies don't quite add up. Hunter and Ash start to question why Chance hides so much from them when they're so close..... And then his mother is found dead. Can Ashlin and Hunter protect the boy they love forever, can they make his life okay for the first time?

-----

Wow. I just finished this, and I'm speechless. I need to finish this review while everything is still fresh in my mind and while I'm still emotionally traumatized. This book is incredible, from cover to cover.

Actually, I'd like to mention that first. Look at how beautiful the cover of this book is. It lures you in, effectively, but inside it is a barrage of heartbreak and feelings. So many feelings. You betray me, peaceful cover.

I had never read a book of Kelley York's before, but I know I will be reading them again in the future. Her writing is beautiful. Throughout this story, there's this underlying tone of sadness and false tranquility, of impending mental and emotional shattering. I knew from only a few pages in that this book would leave a scar on me, and I was correct. Yet, despite all this sadness, this book illustrates such beautiful love. Between friends, between siblings, between lovers. Part of what makes the love of these characters so real is the alternating perspectives of both Ash and Hunter. It was executed perfectly in this novel, and gave a better insight into the siblings' feelings towards Chance.

Oh god, Chance. The characters in this book were all likable in their own way, but Chance is by far my favorite. Possibly ever. He's so odd and quirky and broken and lovable and UGH I just want to give him a hug and feed him sandwiches. (Yes, I know he's fictional. Shut up.) His flaws added to his charm, and when he's together with Hunter? They're perfect. In a messed up, imperfect way. I know that doesn't make sense, but that's the great thing about love, isn't it? It doesn't have to make sense. It just IS.

I honestly thought my review copy was missing pages off the end. I wasn't expecting so abrupt of an ending, and that made my pain so much worse. I have not been so emotionally damaged by the end of a book since Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma.

A large part of why I liked this book is that love seems to have no boundaries. True, this book features a romance between two male characters. But that isn't the point of the book. There's no coming out scene, no hate. Ashlin loves Chance. Hunter loves Chance. Chance loves Hunter. It's just pure and simple love between humans.

I recommend this book to everyone, unless male/male romance is something that you're completely against. If not, this book is stunning. I really have no other words, and I hope that this review ends up being coherent. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go eat some chocolate and process and maybe watch something to brighten my mood.

Thank you to Netgalley and Entangled Teen for the chance to read this.

2 comments:

  1. This is an amazing review for what is no doubt an amazing book. I definitely have to read it, I'm about due to be emotionally shattered by a book, and this one sounds like just the one to do it.

    ReplyDelete