Pages

Friday, October 11, 2013

Mini Review: My Little Pony: Pony Tales, Vol. 1


Title: My Little Pony: Pony Tales, Vol. 1
Author: Thom Zahler
Format: egalley
Pub. Date: November 5th 2013
Source: Netgalley and Diamond Book Distributors

★★★★

Four stars.

My Little Pony: Pony Tales, Vol. 1 is a graphic novel that stars the fourth generation of Hasbro's My Little Pony characters. In this book, each of the mane six- that is, Rarity, Twilight Sparkle, Apple Jack, Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy, and Rainbow Dash- each get their own little story in which they individually learn a lesson on friendship.

What I really liked about this volume was that it is divided by pony. Don't get me wrong, I love these ponies as a group too, but it was a nice change of pace to see each individual highlighted in there own little section. And it is true that much like the television series, the stories are quite heavy handed with the morals. However, I think that's a good thing, seeing that the intended audience is for children. This is a graphic novel with a good message for kids and adults alike.

What I didn't really enjoy this time around was the art. I'm going to try my best to explain why, but to be honest I can't really put my finger on it myself. It just seemed that the ponies looked... A bit off. I don't know if it was the proportions or their outlines or what it was, but I wasn't really as big of a fan of the art in this volume as I have been in books past. That being said, the scenes and coloring with both nice and made it easy to hold my attention.

Overall, this is a graphic novel that any fan of My Little Pony, old or young, would appreciate. It's an easy, light-hearted read that illuminates just how important it is to know about friendship. I would pick up the next volume in this series.

Thanks to Netgalley and Diamond Book Distributors for my copy.

4 comments:

  1. I will collect ALL of the books! We will have a pony shelf xD Great review, and you're so lucky to get these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really loved this too. I found it really refreshing to have each story focus on one pony..the group stories were getting a little, eh.. U know?
    Anyway great review! Glad you loved it as much as I did!
    Diamond @ Dee's Reads

    ReplyDelete