Pages

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday [6]



Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This week's topic is:

Top Ten Best/Worst Book to Movie Adaptations



As booklovers, I think a lot of our first instincts are to say "the book was better!" Usually, well, it's true! But there are some film versions that were pretty damn close..... And others that I would just like to forget about entirely. Let's start with the 5 best adaptations, shall we?


I'm a huge fan of the Harry Potter series, and I feel like the first film was nearly perfect. It gave such a wonderful, magical look into the wizarding world, and helped me to properly imagine the settings throughout the remaining books. The actors were all well cast, and sigh, I just loved this film- and book.


I was admittedly worried about this one. I mean, it's a book about children murdering other children. But I have to say, the violence was more implied than brutal, the acting was good, and it stayed relatively true to the book plot. I can't wait for Catching Fire.


And of course, there's the Lord of the Rings series. I think the scenery is beautiful, the actors are beautiful. I fell in love all over again with these books once I saw the movies!


I love Rooney Mara. That's pretty much my views on this in a nutshell. Granted, there were some changes. But I found both film adaptations to be better than I anticipated.


I wasn't a huge fan of The DaVinci Code, so I was hesitant to see Angels & Demons. I was impressed and enthralled, and must have reread the book at least three times after going to see it.

And then there's the not so good......


This was my favorite book in the series.... And my least favorite film. I was actually in tears when I left the theater. It was over acted and chopped to bits and almost made me give up on the franchise all together.


I really, really, really just don't understand the hype around this series. The movie somehow managed to be worse than the book, since it merged characters and changed personalities. I want to like this series, really I do.... I just can't.


I'm not afraid to say that I enjoyed the book, Twilight. But the movie? No. So much no. The acting is bad, the effects are bad. Taylor Lautner was my only saving grace throughout this first film.


This book scared me to no end while I was reading it. But the movie? Laughable. I am a complete weenie when it comes to horror movies, and this movie still bored me.


I don't want to talk about it.

Honorable mentions for book-to-films that I loved: Perks of Being a Wallflower, The Outsiders, Interview with the Vampire.

How about you?

4 comments:

  1. I loved Hunger Games as well! The cast is great and they did a good job bringing that world to life.
    I love Stieg Larsson's trilogy, but I prefer the three Swedish movies to the American one. Roonie Mara did a good job but Noomi Rapace has my heart ;)
    Thanks for stopping by my post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think if I would have seen Noomi's performance first, she probably would have been my favorite Lisbeth haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Exorcist was a book first?! OMG, BRB looking for it on Amazon.
    Thanks for stopping by my TTT! (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a way better book, in my opinion!

    ReplyDelete