Pages

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Review: Willow: Wonderland


Title: Willow: Wonderland (Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 9: Willow)
Author: Jeff Parker, Christos Gage, Brian Ching, Joss Whedon
Format: egalley edition
Pub. Date: September 3rd 2013
Source: Netgalley and Diamond Book Distributors

★★★

Three stars.

The Earth has changed. Gone is the magic that used to run through the planet. Willow has entered another dimension with a seemingly impossible mission- to bring magic back to earth. Armed with only Buffy's broken scythe, she must encounter monsters & demons (some old and some new). But the hardest part may be facing the demons that still dwell inside her.

---

This graphic novel is representative of season nine of Joss Whedon's hit show, Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I will review this novel as a mild fan of the show- I'm familiar enough with the plot lines and watch the show when it comes on (Read that as: when my girlfriend puts it on).

+The cover artwork, as well as the artwork in between the parts of this graphic novel and the back few pages are stunning. I'd hang up a few of them as prints in my home, to be honest. The cover image is probably still my favorite, but others are quite lovely too.

-However, the artwork in this dark other world leaves a lot to be desired in my opinion. I found it, well, boring. I understand the setting and how it is supposed to look to go with the story, but I was losing interest after a few panels.

+The artwork picks up again towards book three, however. The colors get brighter, the scenery gets more lively and more detailed. I happen to be on Willow's side completely- I want one of the cute little octopi that she comes across.... Minus the whole Cthulhu thing.

+- The writing is overall okay. Willow still has her sassy, awesome moments. Like most other graphic novels that I've read, the writing is lacking some places but really good in others. Not amazing, not bad. It just is.

I think it's awesome that Willow gets a whole book to herself, since she is without a doubt my favorite female character from Buffy (sorry Willow, but Spike wins overall). I think that this is a book that every die hard Buffy/Whedon fan will have on their collectors shelf. I also believe that fans of Willow in particular would be happy to have this in their collection. However if you're looking for an in depth story line or are completely unfamiliar with the television program, then this isn't the graphic novel for you.

Thank you to Netgalley & Diamond Book Distributors for my copy.

1 comment:

  1. There is no doubt that I want this. Give it to me. Give it to me nowwwwwwwwwww. The little snipits I caught a glance of while you were reading it were wonderful, and I definitely want it on my shelf! Thank you for another great review! :D

    ReplyDelete