Pages

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Mini Review: First Love by C.J. Harte



Title: First Love
Author: C.J. Harte
Format: egalley
Pub. Date: October 15th 2013
Source: Netgalley

★★★

Three stars.

---

Drew is a rodeo star from Wyoming who pauses her career in order to earn a medical degree, so that she can one day come back and practice medicine as well as ranch. Jordan is the daughter of the President who feels the pressure- her every move must uphold the reputation expected of her from her parents. She hires Drew as a tutor, and what starts as a purely professional relationship grows into something far more unexpected.

---

This review won't be very long. Overall, this was an okay story. Not good, not bad, just middle of the road for me.

+I adored Drew. She's strong and smart and is definitely the main player in this book, in my opinion. Maybe it's because I'm a sucker for smart ass characters, and a sucker for rancher/cowboy(girl) types too. I liked Jordan for the sheer fact that she's relatable. She's sheltered and a bit naive, and is confused when she can't really make sense of the feelings she has for Drew. And when she does begin to understand them, she isn't sure what to do with them because it goes against how she was raised. It was an interesting dynamic for me, since I've been in her shoes.

+I thought that their relationship was sweet. Their feelings for each other go beyond sex, and that much is clear in the writing of the text. I was pleasantly surprised by this fact, and I'm glad that made this a book that had sex in it, but didn't make the story explicitly about it.

Though this book definitely had its strong points, for me it just fell flat. It was predictable and because of that, it dragged on for me. I would definitely read other books by this author, but this title just wasn't a favorite.

Fans of lesbian romance might want to give this book a try. It has solid characters and a sweet romance, but it was just not my cup of tea.

Thanks to Bold Strokes Books, Inc. & Netgalley for my copy.

2 comments: