Pages

Sunday, August 25, 2013

Review: The Dominant


Title: The Dominant (The Submissive Trilogy #2)
Author: Tara Sue Me
Format: egalley
Pub. Date: August 6th 2013
Source: Netgalley/NAL Trade

★★★★

Four stars.

The Dominant is part two in a BDSM erotica trilogy. It retells the story of the first book The Submissive, but instead of being from the submissive Abby King's point of view, it is told from the Dominant Nathaniel West's perspective. Nathaniel is a successful CEO who in his free time is a notoriously strict Dominant. When Abby's submissive application falls into his hands, he should ignore it. She's not even trained, and he doesn't bother with training new subs. But he cannot resist her, and soon their lives entangle in a complicated mess that has Nathaniel questioning himself and feeling things that he's never experienced before.

---

I'd like to go on the record by saying that though I am familiar with this trilogy, I have not read book one. This review will be based solely on the writing of book two, The Dominant. I am severely torn with my rating of this book, hovering between a three and a four. Ultimately, my inexplicable addiction to this book made me round up.

I'd like to get the faults with this book out of the way. Because yes, there are faults, and they are plentiful. If you are new to the BDSM scene, please, please, do not look to this book for an example of how D/s relationships should be run. Nathaniel West makes crucial mistakes, such as neglecting aftercare, answering this new sub's questions, and being 100% honest with his sub. These are red flags. What gave me the ability to put these mistakes at bay, is the fact that near the end of the book he acknowledges them. This can also be said about the fact that he never really trains her in this book. It's more of a natural submission. Book three is entitled The Training, and with the way The Dominant ends, I am going to give it the benefit of the doubt that these things are picked. I'm also keeping in mind that this is fictional- liberties are allowed to be taken for the sake of plot.

Another brief note, at time the time lapsing for this book was a bit jagged and random. It didn't interfere with my reading too much, but should still be noted.

I adore that this book is from the Dom's perspective. Often times, my issue with this new trend of BDSM-style erotic literature is that I find the girls to be whiny and stupid. But, because this was from Nathaniel's view point, I was unable to hear the girl's thoughts, and I rather enjoyed that aspect. Of course, I'll get to reading book one, but for me personally I think it was a good idea to start with this book. It successfully lured me into the rest of the trilogy.

I loved Nathaniel. Despite the aforementioned mistakes and bastard moves, I have an inexplicable attraction to him. I don't know if it's just the Dom factor, or because he cooks and plays piano and loves his dog... I honestly don't know. I would tell you if I could. I also related to Abby, being a submissive future librarian myself. I liked that she was a bit sassy, and I enjoyed the moments when the pair could be playful with one another. The intimate scenes between them were also well written, dirty without being overly redundant or grossly crass.

After reading reviews for this saga, I was really hesitant to read this, but I am so glad I did. I recommend this to fans of the 50 Shades-esque genre of erotic BDSM. Sticklers for accuracy of this lifestyle will not be happy with this book.

Thanks to Netgalley and NAL Trade for my copy.

2 comments:

  1. Well despite the flaws this sounds like a good book for me to pick up with an open mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recommend it. I very much want to read the rest of the trilogy.

      Delete