Pages

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday [8]



Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This week's topic is:

Top ten words/topics that make me not pick up a book



Keep in mind that I am open minded to 99% of books. There are few phrases that make me avoid a book altogether. These words or phrases on my list make me hesitant to read. Keep that in mind. So. Here we go:

1. Homophobic


On both a moral and a GLBT level, I will not read books that are anti-gay. Obviously, books on bullying and things like that don't count, but I'm not going to read a book full of why I'm going to hell.

2. Zombies


I've yet to read a zombie book that I really enjoyed. I sincerely hope that one day I will be able to take this off of my list.

3. Crime/Murder


I love the occasional crime thriller, but most of them, in my humble opinion, are easily guessed or totally confusing. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, for example, I loved.

4. Rock/Movie stars


This whole "falling in love with a rockstar" thing is becoming completely played out for me. I'm honestly just tired of reading them. I'm sure once the trend dies down, I'll find them enjoyable again.

5. Aliens


Same with zombies- I just haven't read any alien books that I enjoy. Someone recommend me a great one, and we'll see.

6. Babies


I'm not a mom. I don't want to be a mom. I respect those who are or want to be, but books centering around children and new moms and diapers and- no. Pass for me, please.

7.Insta-love


There are always exceptions, of course. But in my personal history of life, insta-love isn't accurate. Crushes, lust, attraction- sure. But this whole he is the only one that my soul will ever need type mentality is definitely a red flag for me.

8. Slut Shaming


There's nothing wrong with having sex, and who these characters have sex with is no one else's damn concern. And if it's nonfiction works doing it? Don't get me started.

9. Dukes/Duchesses/Lords/Royals


I like historical fiction/romance novels well enough, but these type of royal/upper class books tend to not tickle my fancy.

10. Excessive Violence


This isn't on here because of moral reasons. I'm not one of those "oh my gosh, no, violence is wrong!" people. I just find fight sequences often hard to follow, and they usually hinder my opinion of a book more than they help.

4 comments:

  1. Great top ten list, babe :) I agree with just about all of these for myself,though I don't know what would take their place lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good list, I also hate homophobic things as well and I'm not a fan of zombies either. I dislike the whole fall in love with a famous person plot but I wouldn't mind reading a book about some trying to achieve their goals for fame and being thrown into that world a bit to fast but I'm pretty sure those books are pretty hard to find.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I agree. I don't have a problem with all fame books, just the romanticized love fantasy. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete