Pages

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Review: International Steampunk Fashions


Title: International Steampunk Fashions
Author: Victoriana Lady Lisa
Format: egalley
Pub. Date: March 28th 2013
Source: Netgalley & Schiffer Publishing, Ltd.

★★★★★

Five stars.

---

International Steampunk Fashions is a photography/art book that highlights the style of steampunk. From corsets and suits to brooches and top hats, this book features countless pictures and pieces to inspire thoughts of fantasy and the Victorian age.

At the beginning of this book, time is devoted to explaining what steampunk is as a style of fashion, but also how it stemmed from literature. Information is given on how things like gears and other "typical" steampunk trends came into play, making the first few pages a great introduction to those who are unfamiliar, and a good brush up for those who are.

The pages that follow feature models wearing their steampunk best, representing several countries and models of every gender, race, and size. The photographs are stunning. Being a long time fan of steampunk fashion myself, I was really excited to see two of my favorite models- Kato and Ophelia Overdose- within the book. There's also a section dedicated to jewelry, accessories, and top hats that offer up close pictures of the intricate designs that these artists and designers put into their craft. It's stunning, and I sincerely wish I was that creative.

At the end of the book, there's a section filled with biographies, containing further contact information about models, photographers, designers, artists, performers, musicians, and everything in between. There's also a reference section full of websites to visit, so if International Steampunk Fashion lit your curiosity for all things steampunk, the author has made it east for you to access more.

This is a book I would love to have on my shelf. The photography and artwork are stunning, I'd definitely look at it for fashion inspiration, and writing inspiration too. This is a must have for fans of the genre, and those interested in fantasy and fashion. Thanks to Netgalley and Schiffer Publishing, Ltd. for my copy.

2 comments:

  1. I have a MIGHTY NEED for this book! I must have it, it's right up my alley! And it would look gorgeous on our shelf ^_^

    ReplyDelete