I’m taking part in The Perpetual Page Turner End of Year Book Survey. If you want to come and post with us, click here. All my book covers link to Goodreads- so check these books out if they look good to you :)
Best in Books 2013
1. Best Book You Read In 2013? (If you have to cheat — you can break it down by genre if you want or 2013 release vs. backlist)
The best book that I read this year has to be Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma. It wasn't published this year, but I read it way back in January and I still think about it.
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl. I read it before the movie came out and I'd heard so much praise... But I found it really, really boring.
3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2013?
Tumble & Fall by Alexandra Coutts. It has a lot of negative reviews and a fairly low Goodreads rating, but I gave it a chance and I really liked it. -shrugs- Different strokes.
4. Book you read in 2013 that you recommended to people most in 2013?
Made of Stars by Kelley York. It's stunning, from cover to cover, with LGBT themes. If you haven't read it, do it.
5. Best series you discovered in 2013?
The Divergent series by Veronica Roth. I actually just finished book one (the review isn't even up yet!) and it's AMAZING.
Favorite new author you discovered in 2013?
John Green. The Fault in Our Stars is flawless.
7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?
Call of the Jersey Devil by Aurelio Voltaire. I don't read a lot of horror or things like that much anymore, but Voltaire is my favorite singer and is a great guy, so I got his book and was very pleasantly surprised. On that note, I read Joyland despite not being a huge fan of crime novels.
8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2013?
I had a really hard time putting down Conjured by Sarah Beth Durst. It was so dark and strange that I didn't want to wait to see what happened.
9. Book You Read In 2013 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
Probably The Fault in Our Stars. I'll read it again before the movie. Or Forbidden, because it's beautiful.
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2013?
11. Most memorable character in 2013?
Oh god, just one? Well shit. I'm putting three. Chance, from Made of Stars. Lochan Whitely from Forbidden. Augustus Waters of The Fault in Our Stars.
13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2013?
Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma. I know I'm saying it a lot, but that book seriously changed the way I look at some things. A runner up is The Fault in Our Stars.
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2013 to finally read?
Matched by Ally Condie. I'd heard so much about the series, and finally got around to it this past spring. I loved it!
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2013?
“At the end of the day it's about how much you can bear, how much you can endure. Being together, we harm nobody; being apart, we extinguish ourselves.”
― Tabitha Suzuma, Forbidden
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2013?
Shortest: A one star novella called Foreplay by Tammy Valentine that is a whopping 15 pages.
Longest: A anthology called Behind Barres by Miriam Wenger-Landis, Amanda Brice, Leslie DuBois at 575 pages.
17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers!
The end of Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma. I can't give it away because of spoilers. But oh man I cried. I cried so hard. And for so long. My friend had to lure me out of my room with chicken nuggets because I was moping.
18. Favorite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2013 (be it romantic, friendship, etc).
I like the three way friendship between Chase, Ashlin, and Hunter in Made of Stars by Kelley York. They're so close but so odd. It made me happy.
19. Favorite Book You Read in 2013 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
Walking Disaster by Jamie McGuire. Lord, I love me some Travis. Mm mm mm mm mm.
20. Best Book You Read In 2013 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else:
Call of the Jersey Devil by Aurelio Voltaire. Between Voltaire's recommendation himself, my girlfriend, and The Cover Contessa.
21. Genre You Read The Most From in 2013?
Oddly enough, YA and erotica.... That's awkward.
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2013?
Newest? Well I suppose that would be Daniel Rush from Covet by Tracey Garvis-Graves. Yummy policeman candy.
23. Best 2013 debut you read?
The S-Word by Chelsea Pitcher. Powerful stuff.
24. Most vivid world/imagery in a book you read in 2013?
Ehhhhh this is another tie. Either Divergent, Matched, or Swans & Klons. Or You Are Mine. UGH I READ SO MANY GREAT DYSTOPIANS THIS YEAR NEXT QUESTIONS -sulks-
25. Book That Was The Most Fun To Read in 2013?
Eating My Feelings: Tales of Overeating, Underperforming, and Coping with My Crazy Family by Mark Rosenberg. This book was absolutely hilarious.
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2013?
Oh god I cry so easily. Books that made me cry: Streaks of Blue, Where the Stars Still Shine, Made of Stars, The Fault in Our Stars, & Forbidden. Those are the ones I remember, anyway.
27. Book You Read in 2013 That You Think Got Overlooked This Year Or When It Came Out?
I have a few: Swans & Klons, Made of Stars, & Call of the Jersey Devil among them.