Pages

Sunday, October 1, 2017

HALLOWEEN COUNTDOWN! Review: Be Careful What You Witch For by Dawn Eastman



Title: Be Careful What You Witch For
Series: A Family Fortune Mystery #2
Author: Dawn Eastman
Format: Paperback, 304 pages
Pub. Date: July 1st 2014
Source: Won on a blog


Book Description:



Leaving a traumatic police career behind, Clyde Fortune has returned to her seemingly quiet hometown of Crystal Haven, Michigan. In spite of the psychic powers of its residents, there’s no telling what trouble is brewing in this burg…

The highlight of this year's fall festival in Crystal Haven is a bonfire with a witch’s cauldron resting over it. Clyde’s best friend, Diana, leads a ritual to divine the future, but it seems no one foresees that one of their own will drop dead—or that Diana will be a prime suspect.

Clyde already has her hands full with her eccentric family, runaway nephew, and burgeoning secret romance with a hunky homicide detective. But after another coven member is attacked, Clyde suspects there’s a witch hunt afoot and focuses her psychic and sleuthing skills to clear her friend’s name and catch a killer.






Review:


★★★

Well, I'll start this by saying that I did not read Pall in the Family, the first book in the series.

I didn't think that this would be an issue, but it was. There were a lot of callbacks to things and references and scenes and personality traits that I was expected to know, and I did not. The first part of the book was messy to get through as I sorted through this.

I didn't care much for the characters. I understand that they're supposed to be eccentric/quirky, but it got into annoyingly campy territory. To the point that I didn't have much investment in the characters and the tribulations that they were going through. I was just sort of over it.

I also expected it to be more "Halloween-y" based on the title and the cover, which was a bit of a let down.

But there were some good things about this book. I really liked the setting, for example. Crystal Haven seems like a charming little weird place that I would love to visit.

It was a pretty standard cozy mystery. Some twists, some turns. Some were more predictable than others. It's a quick read.

I think if you read the first one, you'll enjoy this one more. But, I did not. Based off of my lukewarm experience with this one, I won't be reading the first one, or the subsequent ones. If you've read book one, or if you're a big cozy mystery fan, I hope you enjoy it.

2 comments:

  1. I know one thing is for sure, I'd love to live in that house on the cover, it's gorgeous! I'm sorry to hear that the story was a bit of a flop, though, it looked right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete