Pages

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Review: Alice in Tumblr-land


Title: Alice in Tumblr-land
Author: Tim Manley
Format: egalley
Pub. Date: November 5th 2013
Source: Netgalley & Penguin Books

★★★★

Four stars.

---

Alice in Tumblr-land is a book full of snippets and pictures that help narrate fairy tales in the modern era. Peter Pan wants nothing more than to be internet famous, Alice experiences a drug trip, and Sleeping Beauty and the Ugly Duckling struggle with self-esteem problems. This is a fairy tale for the technology generation.


This book was dark and strange, and I loved it. It wasn't at all what I was expecting, but I was pleasantly surprised with how much I snickered throughout reading it.

One of the things that I most enjoyed about this was the graphics. Each short little tale has a picture with it, and I really liked the artwork. They're drawings that look simple, but that are still way better than I'd ever do.

Another thing that I liked about this book was the size of the stories. Each page has only a few sentences and a picture, making the book seem easier to read. You can either read a bit at a time and appreciate each page on its own, or if you read it in longer sections, you can see the wider story arcs that each character we know and love experiences.

All in all, it made me laugh out loud more than once. I would recommend it mostly to my fellow in-their-20's internet dwellers, the ones that either use or scoff at instagram, that use tumblr or imgur or the like, because I feel that they'll be the ones that connect with it most. However, if you like retellings and use the internet, I'm sure you'll get a chuckle out of it too.

Thanks to Netgalley and Penguin Books for my chance to read this.

4 comments:

  1. Oh my good god I need this book! This sounds like a hilarious read and just the thing I need to wind down after my impending doom- I mean finals....

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like something I would obsessively love hahaha I'm definitely going to have to look it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely worth reading at least once in my opinion :)

      Delete